Sunday, February 6, 2011

WindShield Investing

I live in Texas a state where if you drive you've had a rock hit your windshield and give you a nice crack, dent, scratch and so on. It is truly an annoying thing. Compared to most of the trouble that can happen while driving or with a car it is a really minor one.




Well that is the problem. That minor problem when ignored grows. Due to the pressure difference between the outside of your car and the inside of you car with the rapidly changing weather. Or if you live an area of the country where you have seasons. The water either rain or snow will get in to the crack, dent, scratch and so on. Freeze and expand. (Since according to my wife I make up my statics and science please don't email me complaining that my meteorology is off and that magnets can't really help a grown man levitate. Unless magnets can actually do that.)

Many people are breed and raised to believe in the stock market and believe that it can lead you to a happy retirement. So they buy stocks, and the market goes up they're happy and when the market goes down. They either sell for less then they bought for, or leave it in there hoping to break even. Just like the wind shield the market helps things crack under pressure. Really, natural, or forced. People do that with bonds, and annuities as well.

When you get a crack, scratch, dent and so on in your windshield you make the choice to get it fixed later. Whether that is total replacement or just a little filler. Which is possible when you catch it early on. When it comes to investing you can't always see that rock fly at you but you see and live with the ramifications.

The fix can be cashing out or stay the course.

So that small crack, dent, scratch and so on in your journey to retirement or transition out of your job to something else. Gets extremely large. To the point where you can no long fix it. You have to replace it and start new.

Starting over at any point with anything is always sad and a pain. Windshield or with your retirement. The big question isn't so much why you are where you are at. Life happens. Things that can't be control make it so waking up every morning is worth it. So the question is why didn't you take action or what are you afraid of?

I had an actual chipped dent in my windshield and I was flat out to lazy and to cheap to get it fixed for a week or 2. next thing I know the chip smaller the a dime grew in to a crack over a foot long. There was a freeze about to hit and I realized that it was only going to get worse. It took 10 minutes and my insurance covered it. So all in all the big cost was my pride.

Pride and procrastination are the most expensive brokerage fees you can pay in life. That is the point of that belabored metaphor. If your still with me at this point. Thank you. I tried to find some pictures to go along with it not much luck. When I searched for a rock explosion I got pictures of rock bands and the corporate created "Sex Pistols". So that is why there is a picture of my wife's dog thrown in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment